Agua Fria-New River Natural Resource Conservation District

October 19, 1944 the New River Soil Conservation District was officially organized. On June 23, 1945 Agua Fria Soil Conservation District was established. In 1968 Hank Raymond and Glenn Smith announced the merging of the Agua Fria and the New River Soil Conservation Districts. This affiliation would "eliminate a lot of duplicate administrative work and, in general, increase the efficiency of the conservation work within their Districts."

Agua Fria-New River NRCD has been an influential part of the Conservation District Movement in Arizona. Some of the major historical accomplishments achieved by the District with technical assistance from NRCS (formerly SCS) includes:

  • Worked with the Maricopa County Municipal Water Conservation District #1 and the Maricopa Flood Control District on the White Tanks Watershed Project.
  • Sponsored Alta Vista Storm channel, Champion Flood Control, McMicken Dam project, Beardsley Cut-off flood control and reclassification of the Buckeye flood control.
  • Sponsored detention dams and widened the channels for New River and Agua Fria River. (This led to the construction of new bridges for Indian School Rd., and Peoria Ave. To help clear congestion on Grand Ave. And Hwy 80 during flooding.)
  • Sponsored the Hieroglyphic Mountain Development for the Morristown cut-off and Highways 60, 70, and 89 terminating at the Black Canyon Freeway.
  • Sponsored Alvord Park Lake as a joint venture with the City of Phoenix, as well as Skunk Creek and Lake Pleasant Regional Park recreation areas.

Contact Agua Fria-New River Natural Resource Conservation District

16251 West Glendale Avenue
Litchfield Park, Arizona  85340-9524
Phone: (602) 771-4162


Service Area

Services provided in:
  • Maricopa County, Arizona

To request additions or corrections to this entry email the Administrator