Anderson County

Anderson County Courthouse

Anderson County was created from a portion of Houston County in 1846 and named for Kenneth Lewis Anderson, Vice-President of Texas from 1844 until annexation by the United States. Anderson County is made up of wooded, rolling hills marked by a mineral ridge which divides the 1.068 square miles. Palestine is the county seat with Elkhart and Frankston being other incorporated towns. In addition, several communities encourage a strong sense of belonging among residents.

The 2000 population of Anderson County is 55,109. There are seven school districts in the county. Trinity Valley Community College has a campus just outside Palestine, and The University of Texas at Tyler has an extension campus with concentration on nursing classes.

Palestine and Anderson County are enhanced by numerous older homes and buildings. In addition to these historical attractions, the county is home to the Palestine depot of the Texas State Railroad. The Museum for East Texas Culture is a growing attraction for visitors and locals.

Texas Cooperative Extension in Anderson County is a partnership between Anderson County, the Texas A&M University System, and the United Stated Department of Agriculture. The mission of Texas Cooperative Extension in Anderson County is to improve the quality of life of residents through research-based information and education in agriculture, family and consumer sciences, community development, and 4-H and youth development. Local volunteers plan and carry out educational efforts based on community needs.

Contact Anderson County

Truman Lamb
County Extension Agent – Agriculture & Natural Resources
101 East Oak Street
Palestine, Texas  75801
Phone: 903-723-3735
Fax: 903-723-2810


Service Area

Services provided in:
  • Anderson County, Texas

To request additions or corrections to this entry email the Administrator