Brown Marshall Conservation District

to promote Conservation Stewardship in Brown County through education, conservation services, and technical assistance.

Established in 1937, the Brown-Marshall Conservation District is the 1st Conservation District in South Dakota. The Brown-Marshall District consists of approximately 556,000 acres in the northern part of Brown County, South Dakota.Brown-Marshall Conservation District was originally 115,000 acres comprised of the northeast part of Brown County and the west part of Marshall County. In 1947 the Marshall County acres were transferred to Marshall County Conservation District, and the Brown-Marshall District expanded to cover the entire north half of Brown County.

The majority of the District acres are actively farmed, with the landscape consisting of level to gently rolling arcres. Some of the first trees planted in South Dakota were planted in the Brown-Marshall District prior to 1900. Also located within the District is the James River, and the Sand Lake Wildlife Refuge.

Contact Brown Marshall Conservation District

Judy Skoglund
District Manager
PO Box 73
Hecla, South Dakota  57446-0073
Phone: (605) 994-2016
Fax: (605) 225-6433


Service Area

Services provided in:
  • Brown County, South Dakota

To request additions or corrections to this entry email the Administrator