Catahoula Parish Extension

The parish of Catahoula was created in 1808 from the parish of Rapides. The name "Catahoula" is believed to be derived from the Choctaw Indian word "Okkattahoula," which means "beautiful clear water." With the building of a north and south railway line through the western part of the parish in the early 1900s, new communities sprang up and sawmills to convert the pine timber into lumber were erected on the line. Catahoula parish has plant, aquaculture, wildlife and animal enterprises.

Agriculture & Natural Resources

The production of row crops, timber and beef cattle is a major economic stimulus to the Catahoula Parish economy. Farm variety trials, soil fertilization trails and corn foliar fertilizer trials were done with parish farmers. These tests are vital in the support of the agriculture industry. Hunting and fishing is an economically important opportunity to the citizens of Catahoula Parish. People interested in learning more about wildlife management were given the opportunity to attend a series of learning sessions with the Master Wildlifer Program offered through Clemson University through a live meeting hosted in Catahoula Parish. The LSU AgCenter Master Cattle Producer class was offered and well received by local cattle producers in the parish. Residents of the parish were also supplied with the latest recommendations on home gardens and lawns. Non-industrial private forest landowners were given the opportunity to enroll their lands in the American Tree Farm System’s Certified Tree Farm program. An annual crop production meeting was held for local farmers and agriculture workers. 

Contact Catahoula Parish Extension

Karen Allbritton
Administrative Coordinator
109 Pine Street
P. O. Box 160
HARRISONBURG, Louisiana  71340-0160
Phone: 318-744-5442
Fax: 318-744-0430


Service Area

Services provided in:
  • Catahoula Parish, Louisiana

To request additions or corrections to this entry email the Administrator