Claiborne Parish Extension
Claiborne Parish was created from Natchitoches Parish by Act No. 42 on March 13, 1828, and named in honor of the first American governor of Louisiana, William Charles Cole Claiborne. Homer, the present day parish seat of Claiborne Parish, was named for the Greek poet and was laid out around the Courthouse Square in 1850 by Frank Vaughn. The present day brick courthouse, built in the Greek Revival style, is one of four pre-civil war courthouses in Louisiana still in use today. The building, completed in 1860 and is on the National Register of Historic Places.

Ag and Natural Resources
The LSU AgCenter works closely with Producer’s groups such as the Claiborne Parish Cattlemen’s Association to provide quarterly meetings in which the Cattlemen are informed about issues such as best management practices, financial information regarding to Beef Cattle Production, and envi-ronmental concerns such as fertilizer runoff. Our office also works closely with Master Gardeners in our parish to address common homeowner horticultural issues.

Contact Claiborne Parish Extension

Albert Faulk
Assistant Agent
PO BOX 299
HOMER, Louisiana  71040-0299
Phone: 318/927-3110
Fax: 318/927-3190


Service Area

Services provided in:
  • Claiborne Parish, Louisiana

To request additions or corrections to this entry email the Administrator