Hardeman County Extension

Hardeman County was created in 1858 from Fannin County, recreated in 1876 and organized in 1884. Hardeman County is named for pioneer Texas brothers, Bailey and T. J. Hardeman. Hardeman County is located between the Pease River on the south and Red River on the north, adjoining Oklahoma. There are two towns included in the county which are Quanah and Chillicothe, as well as a ghost town called Medicine Mounds.  There is many historic events that took place within the county that contribute to today’s culture and special events.  Wheat and cotton are the main crops, with beef cattle and stockers adding to the economy. Some sheep, goats, swine, and horses are also raised. Businesses include agri-business and some manufacturing. Copper Breaks State Park, which is operated by the Texas Parks & Wildlife Department, is located in far southern Hardeman County near the Pease River just off State Highway 6, about 12 miles (19 km) south of Quanah. The park features a portion of the state Texas longhorn herd. The AgriLife Extension office works with county officials to provide practical, how-to-education based on university research. 


Contact Hardeman County Extension

308 Main Street
PO Box 179
Quanah, Texas  79252
Phone: 940-663-6301
Fax: 940-663-5958


Service Area

Services provided in:
  • Hardeman County, Texas

To request additions or corrections to this entry email the Administrator