Jones County

Jones County was established in 1881, and named for Anson Jones, (1798-1858), the last President of the Texas Republic.  Jones County is the site of the Emigrant Trail, The Frontier Military Road and Fort Phantom Hill.

The county is located in West Central Texas, and is part of the Rolling Plains. The size of the county is roughly 937 square miles, with agriculture being the primary industry. Agricultural production includes cotton, wheat, grain sorghum, hay, and cattle.   There are five school districts and various communities throughout the county.  School districts within the county include Anson, Hamlin, Stamford, Hawley, and Lueders/Avoca.  The population of the county in 2010, was 20,202.

Contact Jones County

Steve Estes
County Extension Agent - Ag
1100 12th Street - Courthouse Basement
PO Box 152
Anson, Texas  79501-0152
Phone: 325-823-2432
Fax: 325-823-4241


Service Area

Services provided in:
  • Jones County, Texas

To request additions or corrections to this entry email the Administrator