McKinleyville Community Services District

MCSD History

McKinleyville Community Services District was created on April 7, 1970 when McKinleyville's voters voted 589 "yes" votes against 151 "no" votes to form the District. Initially, the District had authority to serve water and treat sewer wastes. In 1972, the voters added street lighting powers, in 1985 the voters added recreational powers and in 1995 the voters authorized construction of the McKinleyville Library.

The District boundary encompasses 12,140 acres ranging from North Bank Road on the south to Patrick’s Creek on the north. The District is an independent, special district governed by a five member Board of Directors elected by McKinleyville's voters. The Directors meet monthly on the first Wednesday of each month to set policy, consider projects and resolve disputes. The Board's directives are implemented by the District's 23 full-time and 42 part-time employees. The District office is located at 1656 Sutter Road, just east of Central Ave. McKinleyville is the third largest community in Humboldt County after Eureka and Arcata with a population of 15,998. We currently have over 5,300 active water services and 4,470 active sewer connections.

MCSD is proud of its record of solving problems. The Board has summed up its philosophy by adopting the following Mission Statement: "Provide McKinleyville with safe and reliable water, wastewater, lighting, open space, parks and recreation, and library services in an environmentally and fiscally responsible manner."

Click here to see a map of MCSD Boundary


Contact McKinleyville Community Services District

Greg Orsini
General Manager
1656 Sutter Rd
P.O. Box 2037
McKinleyville, California  95519
Phone: (707) 839-3251
Fax: (707) 839-8456


Service Area

Services provided in:
  • Humboldt County, California

To request additions or corrections to this entry email the Administrator