Robert E. Lee Soil & Water Conservation District

The Robert E. Lee Soil and Water Conservation District was organized on July 24, 1940, under the provisions of the Virginia Soil and Water Conservation Districts Law of 1938. The District was originally made up of the counties of Amherst, Appomattox, Campbell, Buckingham and Cumberland. It was reorganized in 1972, at which time the City of Lynchburg joined the District and Buckingham and Cumberland Counties withdrew to form a separate Soil and Water Conservation District known as the Peter Francisco District. Amherst, Appomattox, Campbell Counties and the City of Lynchburg now make up the Robert E. Lee District.

The District covers an area of about 1385 square miles. Programs and initiatives are directed by a volunteer Board of Directors. Two Directors are elected to four-year terms from each of the the counties and the City of Lynchburg in the regular general elections. Two additional Directors are appointed; one serves as a Director at-large and the other represents Virginia Cooperative Extension. Associate Directors are also appointed by the Board for their expertise, as they apply to the District’s mission. Occupations of the current members of the Board include beef cattle and general agriculture, education, civil service, land development and environmental consulting.

District meetings are held on the fourth Thursday of every month at 6 pm at the Spring House Restaurant in Concord, VA. (no meeting in December). The public are welcome to attend.

Contact Robert E. Lee Soil & Water Conservation District

Julie Stratton
Office Administrator
7631-A Richmond Highway
Appomattox, Virginia  24522
Phone: (434) 352-2819
Fax: (434) 352-9405


Service Area

Services provided in:
  • Amherst County, Virginia
  • Appomattox County, Virginia
  • Campbell County, Virginia
  • Lynchburg City County, Virginia

To request additions or corrections to this entry email the Administrator