St. John Parish Extension
St. John the Baptist Parish was the second permanent settlement in Louisiana and established in the early 1720's by a group of Germans, hence becoming known as "La Cote des Allemands" or "The German Coast". Eight communities comprise the whole of St. John Parish. On the west bank of the river lies the sprawling towns of Lucy, Edgard and Wallace. This area is primarily agricultural. Rows and rows of sugar cane cover the fields. The east bank has LaPlace, Reserve, Lions, Garyville and Mt. Airy, each a thriving, bustling community. Industries follow along the river, including a chemical plant, sugar refinery, grain elevators and an oil refinery.

Agriculture & Natural Resources

St. John Parish horticulture programs provide research-based information to the general public on subject matter relating to home vegetable gardening, fruit and nut production and insect disease and weed management. In addition, home gardeners have the opportunity to develop their skills through the River Region Master Gardener Program.

Sugarcane production, along with soybeans and beef cattle, represent a competitive and viable agriculture industry in St. John Parish and are valued for their economic contribution to the parish. Sugarcane is grown on both the east and west banks and involves 16 growers on 7,169 acres of crop land. In 2012, parish sugarcane growers had a record-breaking harvest despite the effects of Hurricane Isaac.

Contact St. John Parish Extension

Mariah Bock
EDGARD, Louisiana  70049-0250
Phone: 985/497-3261
Fax: 985/497-3409


Service Area

Services provided in:
  • St John the Baptist Parish, Louisiana

To request additions or corrections to this entry email the Administrator