Wilson County Extension

Wilson County was named for James Charles Wilson, who was born in Yorkshire, England in 1816. He came to Texas in 1837 and held many important state offices before his death at Gonzales in 1861. The county was created in 1860 with the first county seat being Sutherland Springs. In 1885, Floresville become the permanent county seat.

The county is a five sided (polygon), kite shaped parcel of land, located in the Rio Grande Plain or upper coastal plain of South Texas. The county comprises 516,480 acres or 807 square miles of land. Elevation ranges from 375 to 575 feet, inclining to the southeast, with a gently rolling terrain of an estimated sloping of some eight feet per mile. The average rainfall is 30 inches per year.

86 percent of the total county land acreage is presently utilized for farming and ranching. About one-half of the total agricultural income comes from beef cattle production. Other major agricultural products produced include grain sorghum, corn, milk, peanuts, hay, swine and wheat.

Mission: To provide quality, relevant, outreach and continuing education programs and services to the people of Wilson County.

Extension brings the resources of the Texas A&M University System to Wilson County. Through field based faculty, Extension provides unbiased, research-based information, educational programs, and technical assistance in the following core service areas:

  • Agriculture
  • Community & Economic Development
  • Environmental Stewardship
  • Nutrition and Family Development
  • Youth Development

Contact Wilson County Extension

1420 3rd Street
PO Box 278
Floresville, Texas  78114--0278
Phone: 830-393-7357
Fax: 830-393-7327


Service Area

Services provided in:
  • Wilson County, Texas

To request additions or corrections to this entry email the Administrator