As of Nov. 8, 2011, the McHenry County Soil & Water Conservation District and the Lake County Soil & Water Conservation District have merged. We are now called the McHenry-Lake County Soil & Water Conservation District and have only one office in Woodstock, IL.
Purpose is to serve McHenry County, Illinois residents and businesses and assist in conserving and protecting the land, water, air, and other resources.
- The SWCD is co-located and works closely with the USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service. Staff from both agencies work with municipalities, private land owners, and agricultural producers on natural resource issues.
- Staff will work with individuals to assist in resource planning for their home or property.
- The SWCD/NRCS offices house many resource informational materials. These materials can prove very valuable to prospective homeowners, etc., in allowing them to assess a property's capabilities and limitations prior to purchasing.
- On-site soils information for septic suitability, basement suitability and subdivision mapping are available through the SWCD. (Fees are charged for these services.
- Natural Resource Information reports are produced for all zoning and land use changes in the District. (A fee is charged for this service.)
- The SWCD runs a tree sale. This sale offers native species to all residents of the county at reasonable prices. (Prices vary according to species and quantity.
- The SWCD and NRCS continue to be involved in many educational programs throughout the county. We offer programming in soils and water quality to a variety of audiences from pre-school to adult.
Check out state and federal funding and technical assistance programs in Illinois.
The SWCD is a Not-For-Profit, Non-Taxing District. Twenty to thirty percent of the SWCD budget comes from annually renewable State and County grants. The remainder of the budget is fees generated from programs listed above.
The SWCD is governed by a five member board of directors who oversee four full-time employees. Owners and occupiers of land in McHenry County are eligible to run for a board of directors position. The Directors are elected for two-year terms. Elections are held each January, with two directors being elected in odd years and three directors elected in even years. Elected directors take office in March.
Owners and occupiers of land in McHenry County are entitled to vote in the election, held at the McHenry County SWCD office.
McHenry-Lake County Soil and Water Conservation District
1648 South Eastwood Drive
Woodstock, IL 60098-4655
Phone: (815) 338-0099 ext. 3
Fax: (815) 338-7731